Usually, the healthiest foods you can find in grocery stores are on the outer edges. This is because most refrigerators are along the walls to keep food fresh.
The further away you are from the center, the more processed and unhealthy foods you will find. Wide range of different things like:
- Sugary drinks. Added sugar is one of the worst ingredients in the modern diet.
- Most pizzas
- White bread.
- Most fruit juices.
- Sweetened breakfast cereals.
- Fried, grilled, or broiled food.
- Pastries, cookies, and cakes.
When you stick to the edge to find the best nutrients for your body like:
- Broccoli. Broccoli provides good amounts of fiber, calcium, potassium, folate, and phytonutrients.
- Apples. Apples are an excellent source of antioxidants, which combat free radicals.
- Raw meat.
All grocery stores have strategies for getting you to buy the most profitable foods for them. You guessed processed foods. A good counter-strategy is to start your shopping spree by staying at the border. Start at the edge, fill your cart with healthy foods, and work your way to the center at the end. Buy 1-3 things for your cheat meals at the end.
Shopping for groceries doesn’t have to be stressful. Take inventory of your kitchen and make a meal list or plan. Stock your freezer and pantry with healthy, sustainable foods.
Being healthy is more than a diet, it’s a lifestyle. Combine healthy food choices with regular exercise and smart habits.
When you commit to a healthy lifestyle, you can reduce the risk of certain conditions. These include obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. If you’re worried, try making small changes to your diet over time.
Share this article if you think it can help someone you know. Thank you.