What’s up ? This is THE stephane ANDRE !!! I watched an Olivier Roland’s video and I learned some good stuff.
When we have company, we read customer reviews to improve the products/services. But we have a way of thinking that can hinder the company’s evolution. Here is an example, for a product the are 10 positive reviews and 1 negative review. The problem is that the entrepreneurs will think 1000 times more about the negative review rather than 10 reviews positive.
To change this way of thinkging, it’s necessary to understand that this is part of human nature. We have been educated by evolution to focus more on negative things than positive things. And yes, our ancestors lived in an unstable environment during the vast majority of the existence of the human being. Here are some examples :
- Our ancestors were very attentive to the elements that were partially negative. They could be very happy, have a great day but they had to pay attention to the powerful animals that could, by surprise, kill them.
- Our ancestors had to pay attention to the disputes that had in the village because these disputes could deteriorate the village’s stability. This can result in creating friction that undermines trust in terms of collaboration for survival.
- Our ancestors were never satisfied with their situation and this motivated them to improve their lifestyle through science.
As you’ve seen, this is a way of thinking that we have in human nature and there are some tips to avoid being obsessed with these negative reviews. I propose 3 solutions :
- Ignore them. The more negative reviews you see, the more you’ll be desensitized to that. It’s not very complicated because if your company is working well, you have few negative reviews.
- Delegate the management of reviews to a member in your company. This allows you to avoid being on the front line in the emotional impact to be less affected. It’s true, this solution have a problem. It creates distance between the entrepreneur and the customers feedbacks. It’s for this reason that it’s recommended to set up a procedure for the member who handles the reviews saying : « From now on, it’s you who manages the reviews. The thing I would like you to do is that you only transfer negative constructive reviews to me ». Negative constructive reviews are the criticisms where you see the urge to help.
- Create an email address only for positive reviews. For example, you can name this email : « positivereviews@yourCompanyName.com » and tell to the person who manages the reviews that each time he/she receive a positive reviews, he/she send it to this email. You can also tell to this person to make a screenshot of a positive review from social media and send it to this email.
With this email address, you create the email of happiness. This will be useful for moments of demotivation and doubt. If, for example, there is an negative reviews that makes you feel bad and you think about it several hours later, you can log on this email, read positive reviews and realize that you’re doing a good job. It’s really a special feeling to know that you’re changing the lives of many people. It’s really fantastic and it allows you to relativize.
It’s possible to make a combination of the 3 solutions. It means, you force yourself to read the negative reviews to desensitize you ; you delelgate part of the process to manage the reviews ; you create a magical email as a psychological support.
These solutions allow you to put things in their place so that you don’t get overwhelmed by negative emotions.
It’s possible that you know of other methods to handle negative reviews, if it’s true, share your method with us in the comments section.
Subscribe to my newsletter and share this article if you think it can help someone you know. Thank you.
P.S. If you’re in Miami and you like Caribbean food, go to my cousin’s bistro to eat Haitian food, click here.